Sacramento Accident Attorneys Discuss Safe Driving in School Zones
Every year, nearly twenty-five thousand kids are injured during vehicle accidents while traveling between school and home.
Most of these accidents are due to negligent driving or violation of the traffic rules for safe driving in school zones. For example, traffic laws mandate that every motorist drive the posted speed limit for a school zone and yield to school buses with flashing stop signs and/or an extended stop arm. However, some drivers do not follow these safety rules because of distracted driving.
Driver Distractions in School Zones
- Driver distraction in a school zone is common in one out of every six drivers.
- 19 percent of female motorists are distracted while driving in a school zone, compared to 15 percent of male motorists.
- Around 9.8 percent of motorists use some kind of mobile device while driving in a school zone.
- Around 4.4 percent of motorists drink, eat, and/or smoke while driving in a school zone.
- Looking behind or reaching for an item inside the vehicle is a leading cause of driver distraction in school zones. Around 1.9 percent of the drivers make this mistake.
- Applying makeup or personal grooming distract 9 in every 1,000 motorists driving through a school zone.
- Reading while driving distracts 3 in every 1,000 motorists while driving through a school zone.
- Flashing lights help reduce drivers’ distraction in school zones.
- Driver distraction is more common in congested school zones.
The Lives of Children at Risk
When a driver passes through a school zone without putting his or her full attention on the road, the lives of others, particularly children, are put in danger. While traffic laws require drivers to yield the right-of-way to a school bus, some drivers simply do not follow the rule.
Your Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
The statistics referenced above from a report by Safe Kids USA show how important it is to avoid driver distraction. When driving through a school zone, be cautious and alert. Unfortunately, despite taking all precautions, and obeying all traffic laws, you could still be involved in a school zone accident. Speak to a Sacramento car accident attorney to understand your legal rights. Call The Law Offices of Zappettini and Bradley today at 916-457-5022 for a free case evaluation.