One of the most important decisions of traumatic brain injury survivor to make after the accident is selecting the right attorney. Finding the best lawyer for your case can be a daunting task, especially for someone with a brain injury.
These 5 simple steps will help you find the right attorney for your brain injury case.
Identify the type of incident you were involved in
Start by identifying your accident. If you have been injured in an automobile accident, then you need a Sacramento car accident attorney. If, on the other hand, were injured in a semi-truck crash, then you need an attorney who has successfully handled a tractor trailer accident in the past. The internet can be a great resource for gathering general information about your crash and find a lawyer with experience handling similar cases. For example, conducting a web search for “(your state) car accident lawyer”, “(your state) Truck accident lawyer,” etc.
Research your specific type of injury and your symptoms
You should also conduct research on a particular type of injury and symptoms. For example, you can run a web search for “Mild traumatic brain injury”, “mild traumatic brain injury”, “Severe traumatic brain injury”, “post-traumatic headaches,” “Vertigo”, etc.
Search for names of potential lawyers
Once you’ve identified what type of case and type of injury you have, and have done some preliminary research, you can start looking for a lawyer experienced in accident cases that result in brain injury. Search the web for an attorney with experience handling a particular type of accident and its specific types of injuries, including your symptoms.
Once you have your list of potential lawyers, you should read their specific web pages closely. Check out the organizations to which they belong. They should belong to organizations that advocate for victims who have survived traumatic brain injury. Also, look for past settlements and jury verdicts on traumatic brain injury.
Call and request written materials from an attorney
It is important that you choose the right lawyer from the beginning. Call and ask your prospective lawyer to send you some information relevant to your case. A thorough review of this information, in addition to the articles published on their website will help you determine if a particular lawyer or firm is the right fit for your claim.
Keep in mind that ethics rules prevent lawyers directly contacting a person, by phone or via e-mail unless you contact them first. If you have an attorney contact without your request, then you should immediately report them to the Office of Lawyer Regulation (877) 315-6941.
Schedule in-person meeting with an attorney and ask questions
Once you have done the necessary background research, it is time to set up face-to-face meeting with a potential attorney. Make a list of questions and bring it with you to the meeting. If you are meeting with a competent and experienced lawyer, familiar with traumatic brain injury, he / she will likely respect your inquiries, and answer your questions more directly.
Here are some suggested questions to ask:
- Will you be the one handling my case from beginning to end? (If the answer is “no”, immediately request a meeting with an attorney who will be handling your case from beginning to end ).
- What is the procedure for handling my case? What steps will you go through?
- When will my case be willing to get finished? (If the lawyer promised a quick settlement, they may be telling you what they think you want to hear, as opposed to the real truth ).
- How have you personally handled cases similar to mine in the past?
- Have you ever represented people with traumatic brain injury before? What are some of the results?
- Have you attended and presented at conferences of any brain injury or seminars?
- Do you belong to any brain injury trial lawyer organization?
- Are you a member of any national Brain Injury Association?
- Are you a member of your state association brain injury?
- AVVO What is your rank? (Rank 9 + is a great )
Having an attorney experienced in with brain injury victims will afford the attorney, and you with a much stronger position to acquire the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Zappettini and Bradley are experienced and knowledgeable in all aspects of Brain Injury cases. Contact us today for more information.