Walking through most Bay Area cities can be a frustrating experience. We are a car-centric society with little or no concern for people crossing our sunbathed streets. Our roads were not designed with a pedestrian-friendly approach in mind. Yet many pedestrians are out there, sharing your roads. Whether you are a local or a tourist, it is important you avoid dangerous situations such as distracted or drunk driving.
California is one of the best destinations to spend a vacation or holiday. We have fantastic weather, endless cuisine options, pristine beaches and lots of entertainment, but California is also one of the worst states for pedestrian fatalities. If you or a loved one is involved in a pedestrian accident this vacation season, make sure you hire an experienced Sacramento pedestrian accident attorney.
How You Can Avoid A Pedestrian Accident?
There are many pedestrians shopping, sightseeing, or playing tourist in cities throughout our state. In order to prevent accidents or injuries from happening, we have a few suggestions that may help:
- Look attentively in both directions before crossing the streets.
- Look both ways until you feel safe to cross.
- Avoid distractions such as listening to music, answering an incoming call, texting, etc.
- Walk on pedestrian-friendly paths such as sidewalks.
- Stay away from oncoming traffic as much as you can.
- If you have children, make sure they don’t cross the street alone.
Some Statistics To Consider
- Over 5,000 Americans are killed in a pedestrian accident each year with over 129,000 checking into Emergency Departments across the US.
- Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than any other group of accident victims combined.
- A high percentage of pedestrian fatalities occur among senior citizens, 65 and older, and children under 15 years old.
- One of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents is speeding.
- Pedestrian accidents are also more likely to occur in urban areas at night.
More tourists and sightseers will venture into our streets rushing from place to place trying to have a good time. But while drivers are trying to find the impossible parking spot, pedestrians are walking in every direction, which can lead to a deadly accident.
Liability is based on negligence. In other words, the at-fault party generally compensates the victim. As long as you prove someone was negligent at the time of the crash, you will be able to receive compensation for your losses. Call us today and find out if you are entitled to receive compensation.
What Damages Can I Recover in an Auto Accident?
Call A Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Attorney
It’s important you provide your Sacramento pedestrian accident attorney with relevant information regarding your accident. The more information you provide your attorney, the more chances to prove who is at fault. We can help you during the investigation of your claim and make sure your rights are fully protected, and make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact the Law Offices of Zappettini and Bradley today for a FREE CASE EVALUATION.