Each year, thousands of Americans are injured or killed in accidents involving a red light runner. Running red lights is actually the number one cause of urban car accidents.
Millions of drivers run red lights every year. The actual statistics around red light running are pretty astonishing. Here is a sampling of them from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
- It is the number one cause of urban collisions
- Nearly all drivers fear being hit by a red-light runner
- More than 50% of American drivers admit red-light running.
- More than 60% of American drivers will see someone run a red light at least once a week.
- 1 in 3 Americans know someone that has been killed or injured by someone running a red light.
Red Light Collisions
When the traffic light is green during our approach to an intersection, most drivers assume that it is clear and safe to proceed. Unfortunately, if another driver recklessly blows through a red light, then an accident is all too likely.
What are some reasons people run red lights?
- Texting and driving
- Road Rage
- Fatigued or distracted drivers
- Inexperienced or aging drivers
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication
Traffic signals and lights, by design, protect all parties on and near the roadways – motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike. When these traffic lights are disregarded or ignored, the consequences can be deadly. Any driver that runs a red light and causes a collision (for whatever reason), need to be held accountable for their actions.
Sacramento Red Light Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured due to another driver’s recklessly running a red light, contact The law offices of Zappettini and Bradley today. We are committed to getting the maximum compensation for injury victims in Northern California. After a serious injury or the loss of a loved one in a car, truck or motorcycle accident, you need to know that someone is on your team, advocating for your rights and presenting an effective case to the insurance company. Without a strong advocate, you may not receive the financial compensation you need and deserve after a car, truck, motorcycle, bike or pedestrian accident. Call us today at (916) 457-5022 or fill out our online contact form, to learn what we can do for you.